Friday, May 11, 2012

So, About that Finale...

This is the first of two posts I'll likely make about the finale. I've been asked to explain how I could have enjoyed the last half, and for that...I'm going to need far more than 140 characters. First, and this is the personal reason for me - I'm just too emotionally exhausted to properly summon rage for the lack of proper closure between Elena and Damon. I have quite a few "real life" issues going right now - not the least of which is the coming loss of two immediate family members. No matter how much I love the show, at the end of the day, it is a SHOW, and real life for me is taking priority. Second, and this is the part that is most difficult to admit. I saw this coming. Totally.

The moment Caroline uttered the phrase, "It's Stefan's turn," I realized that this whole season of friendship, loyalty, and trust between Damon and Elena was simply there to fill time - and keep the fans happy...some of them anyway. Stefan had his "turn" for two years. Damon had one night. As that episode came to a close, I realized I was going to have to say goodbye to any hope I had for a relationship (more than friendship) between Damon and Elena.

I may have signed on to watch a triangle show, but I'm not certain if the writers are prepared to write one. Now, we're looking at a whole new "book" in front of us. Elena's going to remember some things she didn't know she'd even forgotten. She's going to have to examine her choices. (If she'd gone to say goodbye to Damon, she'd still be alive right now - no bridge to cross.)

All that being said, I did enjoy the end of the episode. I've long made the point that I ship the show as a whole - probably more than I do a relationship on it. I was also a fan of the books before the show aired. I LOVED the vampire-Elena phase of the story. While the first half of the episode felt really, really slow and drawn out - MOST of the interaction in the last half seemed very authentic (except for one part...but we'll get to that). I enjoyed watching Matt and Jeremy finally taking action to protect Elena from a very real threat. I enjoyed Bonnie disappearing (I'd really been afraid we were going to see a lot of her). Lately, I've been hard on Stefan, but listening to him say that he was sorry there wasn't time to get Damon back to Mystic Falls to say goodbye to Elena just broke my heart. There have been a lot of times when I doubted if Stefan cared for Damon, and that still proves true, but he does understand his brother - and he knew what would be on his mind. Elena choosing to go back to Mystic Falls - not just to say goodbye to Stefan - but to see Caroline and Tyler again felt very genuine given the reflective theme of the night. And, poor Elena, finally had a chance to offer her life in exchange for someone else's. She would never have forgiven herself if Matt had died, given that he drowned because he'd been trying to protect her.

Damon's scenes in the last few moments of the show warrant a paragraph all of their own. As angry as we as viewers are about Elena's choice of words, I think he understands her...or he loves her enough it doesn't matter. Watching him cradling Alaric as he died...seeing the comprehension dawn on his face that what that meant for Elena. Really, I think that'll go down as one of the most powerful moments I've ever seen on this show. Then, when he arrives at the hospital. She's dead, but it doesn't matter. He NEEDS to see her one last time. He'd been prepared for his own death - but not for hers. His level of panic and agony was palpable, and it was clear that his love for her hasn't wavered.

And then there's that one pesky detail. Elena's conversation with Damon. Really, writers? We've watched the two of them build such a genuine relationship this season, having Elena say "no matter what I feel about you" wasn't what Damon deserved to hear as he was dying. Elena had confessed her conflict to Matt just and hour or so before - she knows she loves Damon. Even if she's going to be choosing Stefan simply because he was with her first, Damon deserved to hear those words come from her ... just once.

So, overall, I liked the end of the episode - even if it had one major flaw. It'll be interesting to see where they elect to go from here. Both Damon and Stefan know that Elena's now on a path that she never wanted; and they both likely know that if her decisions on that night had been different, she'd still be breathing right now. This finale sets up the possibility of a VERY different show next season, and I think that's what I'm looking forward to most of all. So much of season three has been muddled with writing that backtracks and too many characters - a large part, I think, to just delay the inevitable conclusion of the finale's episode.

 I hope this clears up a few things. I'm still working in pre-coffee mode. Hope that all makes sense. Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could say the same about looking forward to S3, but I just can't. I'm tired of TVD, of the crazy plotlines that never seem to lead anywhere conclusive, of the constant retconning of show canon, of the disintegration of characters...it's just not enjoyable to me anymore.

    I do think you're right about S4 maybe having a completely different pace and I hope it does. Because whatever this season was, TVD can't afford another like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This season has seemed to be a bit like a mouse in a maze - just some endless wandering until the finale was finally reached. Hopefully, now that the "filler" is over, we'll be able to see where they're leading.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing.

    I have to say I don't know what to expect for S4 atm. Everything just seemed so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're frustrated, but at least we can chat about it. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. I think the writers were trying to have it both ways with Elena's phone call to Damon. She cares about him but met Stefan first. But she really didn't meet Stefan first. Surprise! And the "choice" Elena made seemed more PR for the episode other than anything else. I personally didn't see Elena make a firm relationship choice in this episode. I almost felt like the flashbacks were to explain that Elena isn't really sure what her feelings are. Almost a comparison of Matt and Damon. I hope the writers are able to clear up some of their muddled feelings for season four but I'm not sure they are. The finale feels like more of a reset button for Elena and the Salvatore brothers. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your immediate family. Thanks for putting down some of your finale thoughts. I always enjoy your point of view.

    ReplyDelete