Thursday, November 8, 2012

Tag! You're it!

I've been tagged by Molly Kate Gray.  You can read about her WIP here.

I'm excited to be part of the game.  I'd love the chance to share a little about my current work in progress.



What is the title of your book?
The working title is currently Playing by the Rules.

Where did the idea for the book come from?
The first chapter opens as Ava is traveling on an airplane to go stay with her aunt for an uncertain amount of time.  Her flight is more than a little bumpy.  I started writing this story on a flight that could probably have set a record for "most turbulent flight" as a way of distracting myself.

What genre does your book fall under?
Playing by the Rules is a young adult romance (with a hint of paranormal).

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Dream casting is so much fun.  I think I'd go with Emma Stone to play Ava.  I'm a bit undecided on Tanner.  A young version of Alex Pettyfer would work, but I'm not finding exactly the right person for him.

What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
Moving from San Diego to a tiny east Texas town would be difficult enough, but Ava Thatcher also has a secret...one that Tanner accidentally finds out.

Will your book be self-published or agented?
At present, I'm not agented.  However, I will be seeking representation for this story.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
This story has earned its "work in progress" title.  I'm about 2/3 finished with it right now, and I started writing it in August.

What other books within your genre would you compare your WIP to?
I think you could easily say my books fall in line with The Bodyfinder series (by Kimberly Derting) or the Wake, Fade, and Gone trilogy by Lisa McMann.

Who or what inspired this book?
A bumpy plane ride, my fondness for all things paranormal, and a visit to California all played an equal role in this story's birth.

What else about your book might pique the readers interest?
I think the dynamic between Scarlett (Ava's cousin) and Ava is really a fun element to the story.  I'm trying to keep this as a "light" paranormal, so even those who don't typically enjoy the books with black covers should enjoy this one.

Thanks for letting me play.  Now you can go visit Emm Cole's page.

No comments:

Post a Comment